Crispy Parmesan asparagus sticks are wonderful appetizers that taste like slender, crunchy vegetable fries. They also taste just as good if your asparagus is starting to go limp, so this is a quick appetizer you can make even if your asparagus isn’t fresh and crispy.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
- 2 egg whites
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 425°F/220°C. Place a wire rack on top of a baking sheet and coat the rack with a nonstick vegetable oil spray.
- Snap off the tough ends of each asparagus spear. Alternatively, place the spears on a cutting board and slice off the tough root ends.
Making the Batter and Coating
- Lightly whisk the egg whites in a small, deep bowl.
- Transfer the egg whites to a flat plate once they begin to get fluffy.
- Stir together the panko breadcrumbs, flour and cheese in another bowl.
- Lightly season the bread crumb mixture with salt and pepper.
- Transfer the crumbs to a shallow plate.
Coating the Sticks
- Coat each asparagus spear in the egg white mixture.
- Dip each spear in the breadcrumbs. Roll each stick around until they’re completely covered in the crumbs.
- If the crumb coating won’t stick to the spear, dip the asparagus back into the egg whites and re-roll it into the breadcrumbs.
Baking the Sticks
- Lay each coated spear on the wire rack.
- Place the spears in the oven. Bake them for 15 minutes, or until the spears are golden brown and crispy on the outside.
- Remove the sticks from the oven. Place them on a serving platter.
- Serve the crispy Parmesan asparagus sticks. Serve with a dipping sauce if desired.
- Thick asparagus spears will taste extra crunchy.
- These crunchy spears don’t need a dipping sauce, but you can quickly whip together something as simple as mayonnaise and a dab of mustard.
- You can use regular breadcrumbs instead of Panko breadcrumbs, but your appetizer won’t be as crispy.
- If you don’t have a wire rack, you can fashion one out of some foil. Simply take a piece of aluminum foil larger than your baking sheet and crinkle it into a ball. Then quickly un-crinkle it and lay it on your baking sheet. It will be somewhat lumpy, but that is the effect you want. This will allow the spears to get toasted on all sides by the hot oven air.
- The asparagus spears will not turn out crispy if cooked in a microwave oven.
- Be sure to place a baking sheet underneath your wire rack to catch the crumbs as the asparagus spears are baking.
Edit Things You’ll Need
- Shallow plates or bowls
- Cutting board
- Baking sheet
- Wire rack
- Aluminum foil (optional)
- Serving plate
Edit Related wikiHows
Edit Sources and Citations
- http://www.keyingredient.com/recipes/9463052/crispy-parmesan-asparagus-sticks/ – research source
- http://mangeratrois.net/index.php/recipes/vegetables/1126-crispy-parmesan-asparagus-sticks – research source
- http://tastykitchen.com/recipes/sidedishes/crispy-parmesan-asparagus-sticks/ – research source
- http://www.cookaholicwife.com/2012/03/crispy-parmesan-asparagus.html – research source